Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Pinterest Impossible #2


Our Labor Day weekend plans were pretty low key.  Dan decided he was 20, not 40 a few weeks ago and had an incredible time water skiing up at Deer Creek.  He did amazing!  
What was not amazing was the muscle pulled in his back that made him miserable for the 2 weeks afterward!  
He's much better but still not good for a big project like building our closet like I had hoped - so I stuck with canning while he took the kids swimming this weekend!
I love our local farm stand.  And seriously - the farmers are hot.  Any guy who can run a tractor gets bonus good looking points in my book.  The tomatoes were on sale, $12 for a 20# box and I grabbed up three and got busy.
 
 This is my second attempt at following a Pinterest recipe.  I chose this one...
 from The Crazy Life.  I mean - the girl is just darling.  She lives in Idaho, is married to a farmer (we've talked about the cute boy factor there) and cans her little heart out.  She's pretty much living my dream except there is no pool on her property and I'm not sure how close she is to a Target.  Other than that...she seemed credible so I followed two of her recipes to a "T." 
I went ahead and used my own salsa recipe that we know and love.

Tangy Spaghetti Sauce for Canning 
-3 medium onions, chopped
-2 cups green bell peppers, chopped
-1 cup banana peppers, chopped (use Anaheim if you can't find these - about the same heat)
-2 pkg. fresh sliced mushrooms
-4 cloves minced garlic
-16 cups tomatoes, peeled and chopped
-3(12oz) cans tomato paste
-1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
-3 tablespoons brown sugar
-1 tablespoon dried oregano
-4 teaspoons canning salt
-2 teaspoons dried basil
-1 teaspoon black pepper
-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
-2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
-1/2 teaspoon cumin
Add all ingredients to stock pot. Heat until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for about 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally. Fill clean, sterilized jars within ½” of top. Put on tops and tighten. Process for 35 minutes for quart jars in water bath. Serve over pasta.

Homemade Canned Pizza Sauce 
Combine in blender:
-2 large onions, quartered
-4 cloves garlic
-3 Tbs. olive oil
-2 Tbs. lemon juice
-a bit of tomato juice to help blend
Blend until smooth. Add to:
-25-28 tomatoes, peeled and pureed in blender
-1 tsp. pepper
-3 Tbs. brown sugar
-2 Tbs. parsley
-1 Tbs. oregano
-1 Tbs. basil
-1 tsp. rosemary
-1 tsp. celery seed
-2 tsp. salt
-1 tsp. garlic powder
-1/2 tsp. summer savory (Utah friends, Harmons carries this in a small pkg - produce section)
-1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
-3 large cans tomato paste
Combine all ingredients in large pot on stove. Simmer for about 3-4 hours until moisture is cooked out and sauce thickens. When sauce is done, transfer to jars and seal. Process for 25 minutes in a hot water bath.
 
I ended up with over 50 jars of pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce and salsa and it is DELICIOUS!  
So glad I found her pin and followed her recipes! 

Linking up to:
Coastal Charm 
House of Hepworths 
Savvy Southern Style

4 comments:

Emily said...

Wow I am super impressed.

Spencer said...

Hi, I have a question- I know this is a super old post, but do you use a regular canning pot, as if you were canning tomatoes alone, to boil under water, or do you need a pressure canner? Thanks!

Kristen said...

Spencer, I just used a regular canning pot! My sister in law had a really bad accident from a pressure cooker and ever since then I have been skittish to try using one!

Unknown said...

How long can they be stored?