Friday, August 10, 2012

Cinnamon Roll Muffins


 I guess this has turned into a foodie blog lately - I've been spending time in the kitchen and it's the only time I remember to grab my camera!  

Oh well - lucky you to get some yummy recipes, right?

 We are going to a family reunion where Dan and I are in charge of breakfast one morning.  Regular cinnamon rolls from scratch are hit and miss for me, and with such a large crowd to cook for, I didn't want to be in the kitchen all day making them.  
So I went with a "muffin" way to make them with a recipe found on The Baker Chick.

Making these rolls is pretty much the same as cinnamon rolls, but without the extra time for rising.  And for me, without the "iffy" factor of wondering if they will even turn out! 

They are not fluffy like a true roll, but still a delicious and cinnamon-y Saturday morning treat.  You might want to serve these with a side of fruit just to lower the guilt factor.  Just an idea...

Cinnamon Roll Muffins
(Yield: 16)

Dough:
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk with 1 T vinegar – let sit 10 min)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
3 1/2 cups flour

Filling:
5 tbsp butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon

Icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
2-3 tbsp milk
1/4 tsp vanilla
In a medium bowl, mix together the brown sugar, baking soda, salt, vanilla and egg. Add the buttermilk, then the flour. Stir until thoroughly combined.  
 Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or two. Roll the dough into a 12-inch by 24-inch rectangle.
 Spread with softened butter, then cover the butter with the cinnamon sugar mixture.

Roll the dough into a log beginning with the wide side.  Cut the log in half, then each half in half again. Slice log until you have 16 rolls. Place them in a greased muffin pan, or muffin tins lined with cupcake papers.
 Bake at 375 F for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Allow the muffins to cool for about 5 minutes, then remove them from pans to a cooling rack. Combine ingredients for glaze and drizzle over the top.
Easy! 
 I would love to hear if you make these and what you think!

Linking up to:

1 comments:

kjtroxel said...

I am wondering how I can get someone to deliver some to me at school??? hummmmm.
:) They look delish!